Friday, December 15, 2006

Gabriel's Grand Entrance

After reading Karrie's story I was inspired to share mine. I had a repeat c-section for my own peace of mind and I'm a firm believer that no one birth experience is better or more natural than another.

I couldn't sleep. I had spent the previous day walking over God's creation and helping Ron to declutter our house. In hindsight we were nesting. I was having contractions but was used to that since I was 39 weeks preggers. Trouble was, these friggin ones were keeping me up which I knew to be a good/bad thing. Good because it was probably real labor, but bad because my scheduled c-section was three days away! I got up to pee for the millionth time and noticed a drip down my leg, oh great I thought to myself "either you're leaking or peed yourself." I got to the bathroom and discovered that it was a slow trickle of blood. HOLY SHIT!! I am freaking at this point. I go wake Ron up and his response is "well what does that mean?" I said to him, "I think I need to go to Labor and Delivery but sleep a bit and I'll wake you up soon." I go downstairs and putter around, contrax get stronger, my bag is packed. Wake Ron up and he's in panic "we gotta call mom! who's gonna watch the kids?" I tell him to calm himself and call his mom and he does. "She can't be here for 45 minutes, " he says "you'll have to take the Volvo and drive yourself. Shit shit shit! The Volvo he speaks of is our 87 Volvo that we refer to as "the tank." I get in and get going, every bump and stop is torture as the contrax are every 5 mins or less. Just to make my life a smidge harder, they're working on the road ON A SUNDAY! As soon as I get by said construction, I must pull over for big friggin contrax!


I finally got to the L&D unit after the ride of hell and they take me back. Bloody show and I'm dilated to 3. Whoa um hello my baby's supposed to be born on Wednesday?? Excuse me? At this point they offer to let me attempt a VBAC or go ahead w/ a c-section but the baby is coming today. Ron gets there FINALLY and he informs me that I must do the c-section. So they begin to prep stuff and Ron gets fascinated by the contraction monitor. I'm still having them of more intensity and he is just riveted. "Wow hon, holy crap that's a big one!" Yeah Ron I know!! Ugh!



The nurse comes back after what seems like forever and announces that the OR is ready! Yippee! Would I like to walk or ride across the hall? I'll walk thanks! Get in and they're getting the spinal prep stuff. Ugh hate this part. This is my 2nd c-section so I'm pretty aware of the procedures. The anesthesiologist is there. I already love this man since I told him that I had a bad reaction to the morphine and he says "oh we'll fix that." They put the drape up, Ron comes in and the tug fest begins. All the while the kind anesthesiologist is talking to me, his voice is soothing as he sounds just like John our family friend from my childhood. I hear the suctions, gurgling and he cries. Sweet lusty cries.



My baby boy, my 3rd child was born at 11:09 a.m. He proved to me that he does things in his own time and when he's ready. He keeps me on my toes with that attitude almost 3 years later. It's hard to believe that soon he'll be three.





If you read this, you deserve a cookie but I have none to give. Instead here's some lovely baby pics of Gabriel Carter Henderson:


August 1, 2004




A Few Days Old

Today

2 comments:

karrie said...

Awww. I canot believe you drive yourself to the hospital!

Anonymous said...

You drove yourself to the hospital in labor... wow.

Please leave a comment at Thordora's birth event - so others can read it.