Monday, September 25, 2006

Dr. Phil-Exploitative T.V.? Chime in!

Ok so I'll admit it. I used to watch him RELIGIOUSLY! Lately though it seems to me as if the show has taken a very exploitative turn. It seems more Jerry Springer than trying to help people. His new project is The Dr. Phil House which seems so unnecessary and just down right wrong. He takes a family in "trouble" and puts them in a house where he tapes 24/7 in order to intervene and yell at the couple whenever there's a moment.

I thought it would be guilty pleasure but it's more like watching a grisly car wreck. Blech. Give me Springer anyday. At least he's out there and makes no bones that he's not out there to "help." He just puts crazy people on because he knows we'll watch.

Oh Dr. Phil...where and when did you jump the shark???

5 comments:

Francesca said...

Yo! via Carrie. Dr. Phil scares me. If that man knows so much, why isn't he wearing a nicer suit?

He doesn't scare me as much as Wayne Dyer though. Eeeek.

Anonymous said...

Yep, my degree is in psychology and some of the shit he pulls makes me cringe. I was watching the very end today, and noticed that they were bringing the MIL into an already volitile situation. I mean, how helpful would that be in saving a marriage?

Miriam said...

Nice to find you blogging. I am also here via Karrie.

I have to agree with you about poor Dr. Phil. It seems that he ran out of real work to do and now makes his living by showcasing the sad and pathetic.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't watch anymore since my house has been taken over by Disney and Noggin, but I am sad. I used to love his show, and use some of his quips still today. I especially love, "So how's that workin' for ya?" I suppose when his show gets canned due to the complete change in substance, we can all ask him just that.

karrie said...

The "How's that workin' for ya?" line is brilliant, and often exactly what people need to hear. Aside from that, Dr. Phil has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I do not watch daytime tv very often, but he also has a column in Oprah's O Magazine, which often gives good advice--without the weird personality quirks.