Friday, September 29, 2006

Survivor: Cook Islands and Stereotypes

Stereotype: : something conforming to a fixed or general pattern; especially : a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment

Ok so I'm probably one of the few who still watches but I wanted to get a few things out that irked me.

Everyone knows this season that the twist is the teams are divided by race. I heard this and was not really affected by it. Thought it was just another gimmick. But having watched it I can't help but notice that all they're doing is playing into and pointing out the racial stereotypes. My main issue is of course with the Asian tribe. Now being Filipino myself it bugs me that either people are being "portrayed" or that the stereotypes are really true.

Stereotype: Asians are good at fishing. They always show the Asians fishing and getting the fish. This is funny to me because my grandparents and a lot of my Filipinos are great fisherman. So is the stereotype true then?

They've also shown some personality traits of people. I dunno if they could be considered stereotypes or not though. For example some Asians I know are pretty nerdy. All the Asians except Cao Boi are pretty nerdy but again I don't know if this would be considered as a stereotypical trait of Asians or not or if it's just my observation being Asian myself.

Ok well I'm ending this because I feel like I'm rambling and am probably confusing.

just my thoughts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, I have watched so far this season too, and am glad they combined last night. It was getting a bit ridiculous. And yes, I did see the things you pointed out here too, so it isn't just you, although we think pretty much alike, so maybe it IS just us. LOL!!